Sunday 6 June 2010

Dragons and Summer Incursions

Wow, its been over a month since my last post. The main reason is I have spent that time just painting this bloody dragon. Sometimes I find painting like reading a book, if its a book I enjoy I can read it really quick, but if I'm not feeling it, it can drag.

Anyway I'm happy with the results. If I could go back I would make some changes, like a more exciting conversion for the rider instead of a mostly Kit-bashed one.

Also I have just finished it in time for the Summer Incursion tournament at Maelstrom Games next weekend which was my goal!

Without further ado, here's it is.




Because of it's size, I was finding it really hard to photograph.

Close-ups of the rider.



Pic's of the base. I'm really happy with this. I was a bit worried that the stone may have turned out a bit bland.



Also, I did a couple of pins into the base and its rock. Much more sturdy than it looks.


I'm not sure how i'm going to get on gaming with this in my army, I've never used a massive monster before.

I must emit I'm not confident about the tournament next week. I never used a dragon before, had no practice games since my last tournament and I've had to sacrifices a few units to fit it into the 2000 points which makes my army feel very small.

Here's what i'm taking, I not going to post up my actual list (don't want to give away all my tricks).


Here's the reinforcements. At Summer Incursion you get extra points if you fighting a tougher army than you, for example Daemons.


I came last at the Winter Incursion, so my target this time is to come anywhere but last. (although I did get good prize last time!)

I will try take more pictures this time and post some posts over the weekend.

Thanks,
Andy

6 comments:

  1. Dragon is amazing! Really scary figure on the battle table. The whole army looks great also. It´s a good idea to use the same color theme on all units.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The army looks brilliant and the dragon tops it off really nice. You should be proud :)

    How did you paint the bases, if you don't mind me asking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great looking dragon. You have done some really nice conversion and painting on this fellow. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice work on the Chaos Dragon, and the army as a whole for that matter!
    The army-picture is spectacular, love how high up that dragon is! Roaring the dark host onwards!

    Mind telling us how you painted that beautiful green cloak? Love the runes on the side as well, but that green's really rich!

    Best of luck in the tournament, and thanks for sharing your army with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments.

    I did the base by over-brushing Calthan Brown over black, then Khemri Brown for a second coat and Dheneb Stone Dry-brush over large stones.
    I used GW's Scotched Static Grass for the grass, but I was doing a new army I would use normal brighter Static Grass (looks better).

    The cloak is Dark Green blended with Camo Green, then a wash of Thraka Green, then highlighted with Camo Green again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May I ask how you went about painting your Chaos Warriors?

    I am about to start work on a Nurgle WOC force and I think something similar to this would be great

    ReplyDelete